VRML-NURBS Exporter and File Converter
last update December 1, 1999
Export plugin for 3D Max
The exporter is a plugin that allows the direct export of NURBS models from
Kinetix 3D Studio Max to VRML using the proposed
nodes. The plugin needs to be copied to the plugin subdirectory of 3D Studio
- TextureTransform is exported.
The transform in the material properties is not exported. Choose Subobjects
and Surface in the Transform Surface Menu. Edit the Material Properties. Do
not forget to copy the texture to the local directory.
- Control Point Animation:
The motion of the control points is sampled over time and converted to a
spline description. The samples are used to generate a B-Spline description of
the motion path of every vertex. Afterwards a complexity reduction needs to be
applied (knot reduction). The angle field in the export options gives the
upper bound for the tangents of points, which are removed. A high number of
samples and and small angle lead to more exact results, but increases the file
size. The spline description is exported in a NurbsPositionInterpolator and
routed to the surface.
Some Hints for Good Results
- Use 'Make Surface Independent' (modifier/subobjects/surfaces) before exporting to VRML NURBS
- Adapt the scene coordinate
system to meters.
- Check Verbose VRML Output in the
export options dialog in order to get further hints to names of surfaces,
supported shapes etc.
- Use Collapse Transformations in
the tools menu in order to apply rotations and scale to dependend child
- If the tessellation in blaxxun
BS Contact is too coarse in areas of high curvature, refine the control mesh
in those areas.
- Consider using a 3D mesh texture
paint program in order to draw textures with the right distortion.
- For closed objects, place the
seams at unimportant parts of the model (e.g. at the bottom or rear).
- Normals for shading are computed
directly using NURBS tangent evaluation, so avoid situations where this
tangent will be zero.
- The u/v tessellation fields in
the NURBS surface code can be used to give an initial tessellation density
- If the BS Contact automatic
NURBS LOD is too coarse in some situations, consider adding a conventional
VRML LOD with a minimum triangle IndexedFaceSet for large
- Only standard CV-surfaces are supported.
- Trimmed NURBS surfaces are not supported. Alternativly these objects can be exported as a triangular mesh
with the conventional VRML exporter.
- Texture coordinates are automatically generated by the BS Contact client, so MAX mappers will not work.
- The 2.5 version supports only CV animation.
Export plugin for 3D Studio Max 3.0
Download blaxxun 3DSMAX VRML NURBS Export.
The export plugin is integrated in the standard VRML97 exporter provided by Kinetix. Thus NURBS primitives
can easily be combined with conventional VRML primitives.
© 1999 Bitmanagement Software - All rights